Frequently Asked Questions
Please zoom down further for questions about Waxoyl!
Zoom Cleaner FAQ
Where Can I use ZOOM?
You can use ZOOM on pretty much any outdoor item including:
- Car, truck – all exterior surfaces. ZOOM is very effective at removing road salt, road gunge & grime, bugs, bird droppings etc.
- Brake dust and road salt & grime from tires and rims
- Street bikes – bugs, road grime, brake dust, bird droppings etc.
- ATV & Dirt bike – mud, dirt, grime, etc.
- Farm Equipment & Heavy equipment
- RV’s, Motorhomes & Campers, including Trailer Park units
- Cottage- Composite decks, Concrete Patios, Outdoor Furniture, Siding, Soffits, Windows etc.
- House siding, soffits and fascia, stucco, windows etc.
- Concrete floors, sidewalks etc.
- Lawn & garden furniture and equipment
- Pretty much any outdoor metal, painted, rubber, or plastic, surface
- And so much more!
ZOOM is effective at removing dirt, mud, road grime, mildew, algae, black weather stains, tree dirt and pollen off most surfaces. It also works well at removing dead bugs from the front of road vehicles and trailers. It is generally safe** on all outdoor surfaces, when used as directed (see** below).
Simply mix with water to desired ratio, spray it on surface to be cleaned, allow to soak 30 seconds to a minute, lightly agitate with the soft brush, sponge or mitt, then simply rinse with water.
ZOOM concentrate can be mixed in a small spray bottle for small jobs, or for larger jobs and general use, a weed sprayer works very well. ZOOM can be safely stored in the sprayer for an extended period of time.
On large surfaces, work in sections to prevent ZOOM from drying on the surface.
A high pressure washer, ie. 1500 to 2000psi and over, may sometimes be enough to remove all dirt and film without the need for agitation.
**If uncertain on a specific surface, always test in an inconspicous area, before cleaning the entire area. Keep from freezing and store out of direct sunlight. ZOOM is not marketed or sold as a degreaser.
Is ZOOM a degreaser?
(Read last paragraph for degreasing)
ZOOM Cleaner is not sold or marketed as a degreaser. ZOOM is designed for removing outdoor dirt & grime from vehicles, buildings, outdoor items, etc. (See uses above) That being said, ZOOM is sometimes effective on certain light oil and/or grease residue.
If you require a strong degreasing agent, ZOOM XC Cleaner/Degreaser (Dark blue) should work quite nicely for you.
What ratio should I mix ZOOM concentrate and water?
For most applications, a mix of somewhere between 10:1 and 30:1 will work fine.
Occasionally, a slightly stronger mix may be needed, such as 8:1 or 6:1.
For lighter jobs, dilution rates up to 100:1. Simply go as strong or light as needed for your application.
Suggested Ratios for common jobs:
- Dirtbike/ATV 10:1 to 20:1
- Car/Truck – Heavy road grime/bugs/winter grime, salt, brake dust etc. 10:1 to 30:1
- Car/truck – Light road grime, mild dirt or dust. 30:1 to 60:1
- Streetbike – 10:1 to 30:1. Stronger for heavy insect removal/heavy brake dust. Lighter for just road grime.
- Camper/RV/Motorhome – Heavy grime/bugs/black streaks/etc. 10:1 to 20:1. Lighter cleaning on RV’s etc. 20:1 to 30:1.
- Tractor/Heavy Equipment – 10:1 to 20:1
- Aluminum Soffits/Eavestroughs/fascia 10:1 to 20:1
I bought ZOOM in a spray bottle. Do I dilute it?
No. The ZOOM that is sold in the 1 liter spray bottles is already pre-mixed at 10:1 for you convenience. No further mixing is required. Diluting it further may cause ZOOM to lose effectiveness, depending on what is being cleaned.
How long should ZOOM stay on the surface before agitation or rinsing?
In most cases, 30 seconds of set time is quite adequate. Occasionally a bit longer time may be required; For example, on bug residue that has been baking in the sun for a few weeks, give ZOOM a few minutes before agitation, or rinsing. Keep the surface wet once ZOOM has been applied.
I bought ZOOM Concentrate. What is the best way to apply it?
ZOOM can be applied in the following ways:
- A pump-up garden weed sprayer (Efficient, portable and easy)
- Power washer with a detergent tank
- Foam Cannon
- Handheld spray bottle
- Mop and pail (least efficient)
What surfaces and materials can I use ZOOM on?
Generally speaking, if the surface or material you are cleaning is designed to be outdoors in the elements, ZOOM is safe to use on it when used as directed. Test if unsure.
Do I need to agitate ZOOM with a soft brush etc. if I'm using a power washer?
In many cases, the high pressure stream of water from a power washer can be used in lieu of agitation with a brush, especially if the washer has over 2000 PSI capability. This can save a step and can speed up your cleaning time.
How do I store ZOOM?
ZOOM should be stored in a cool dry area out of direct sunlight. Keep from freezing.
If ZOOM turns clear:
If stored in direct sunlight, it can cause the pink dye to fade & in some cases, turn clear. If that happens, ZOOM is still just as effective, however it’s much harder to tell when you’ve got some mixed with water in a sprayer, or pail etc.
If ZOOM freezes, it can cause some of the chemistry to come out of suspension & the dye to discolour. If that happens, shake well, and mix with water as directed.
Can I use ZOOM on my RV awning or rubber roof?
Yes, Absolutely! ZOOM is very gentle on pretty much any outdoor surface, but is very aggressive on the dirt & grime that gets on those surfaces. It is very effective on RV awnings/roofs & makes it very easy to clean them quickly.
Why does Waxoyl cost what it does?
Waxoyl only seems expensive till you use it. Because it outperfoms other products so handily(see comparison chart on Waxoyl landing page) and protects for decades, it ends up being the most affordable and cost effective product on the market!
- It gets you much better resale value - your vehicle stays black and clean underneath.
- It doesn't get removed by spray or road dirt.
- Any dirt that gets on it can easily be cleaned off by a powerwasher.
- Seals electrical connections
- Seals seams, crevices, nooks and crannies.
- Moisture salt can't get in behind it.
- Lower maintenance costs.
- No full scale annual or semi-annual resprays
- Sound deadening
- No damaged seals, wiring, silicone or rubber components
- No dripping on your driveway
- No Hole drilling
- No seeping onto exterior body panels, post install.
- Stops any existing light surface rust
- Endorsed by most major OEMs(nobody else has that)
- Lowest annualized cost(based on 10yr or longer ownership)
- Safe on all paint finishes. Contains no silicones or fluorocarbons.
- Very resistant to aging. Contains no mineral acids, bases, lead, chromium, or zinc. (There are many 30, 40 and 50 yr old vehicles on the road that were treated with Waxoyl when new)
Do I have to re-apply Waxoyl every year?
Unlike many other products, Waxoyl doesn't require full re-applications every year or 2x a year. However, It is highly recommended that you have the underside of the vehicle regularly inspected for wear or abrasion & have those spots touched up. This should have at least 1x/yr or every 25000km
How do I remove Waxoyl, or clean up overspray after it has set up?
It is very easy to clean Waxoyl from any solid surface; even if it's been in place for years..... All that's required is either some vegetable oil, or a solvent such as WD40, Varsol, etc.
Does Waxoyl Hardwax come off with salt spray?
No. Once Waxoyl is properly applied to the underside of your vehicle, it stays in place. Water or saltwater spray alone won't remove it. It can even handle the spray from a 2000 psi power washer.
It can suffer some mild abrasion from grit that is mixed with saltspray. Those areas should be inspected and touched up annually.
Will Waxoyl dry out, crack, or peel?
No. Waxoyl is made from a special formulation that ensures it stays flexible, never dries out and will not allow moisture to get in behind it.
There are many vehicles on the road today that were treated decades ago and the Hardwax is still fully intact and protecting the vehicle as when new.
Is Waxoyl more expensive than other annual treatments?
Initially, Waxoyl does cost more than annual treatments. However, because it doesn't need to be re-applied each year, it ends up being a lot more cost effective in the long run. Over 10 yrs, it can save you thousands of $$
Also, because the underside and body of your vehicle is kept in such good shape, you get greatly increased resale value for your vehicle. The increase in resale value is often multiples of the initial cost of application, giving you even more benefit.
Is Waxoyl safe on rubber/silicone seals and wiring?
Yes, Waxoyl is very safe on these items which is one of the reasons that so many OEMs and testing organizations have endorsed it.
Waxoyl is also very effective at sealing and protecting wiring connections, which greatly reduce maintenance problems and costs for you!
Does Waxoyl 'creep' into seams and small spaces?
When it's first applied, Waxoyl does have some creeping ability, especially the cavity wax. However what sets Waxoyl apart is that it not only stays in place, but continues to seal & protect those areas, while lighter competing products get easily removed from heavy salt spray.
Can Waxoyl be applied to an older vehicle?
Yes it can. However it is important to ensure that the areas to be sprayed are free of dirt, grime, other oil/rust spray products and any heavy rust. This may involve power washing, steam cleaning, descaling, chemical rust removal or other processes.
Once those areas are cleaned, Waxoyl can be applied as if your vehicle was new.
I have Waxoyl hardwax on my vehicle & it's all dirty. Can I clean it?
Absolutely! You can easily clean the dirt off the hardwax with a powerwasher. The Waxoyl will stay in place, assuming it was applied correctly, originally.
Also, you can use some ZOOM cleaner; spray the ZOOM on the dirt and let set for a few minutes. Then spray off with a garden hose or power washer.